Since this is not an afterthought, but an actual attempt to do it as well as possible, I thought I'd ask you guys about some stuff before I start.
1. What are some common complaints you have about controller setup options in games? (can be visuals/aesthetics)
2. What do you see as essential features?
3. Are there any features that seem obvious to you, but are absent in everything?
So far my initial thoughts are
- There should be options inside and outside of the game.
- The screen should be traversable with keyboard, gamepad, or mouse.
- Adjust or disable rumble entirely
- Include visual representation of controller that clearly indicates if a controller is detected and what buttons are being pressed.
- Game must be able to detect controllers being plugged in at any time after the game has started.
- Don't skimp on presentation. Even an option menu should be satisfying. Might have some kind of character dedicated to options.
For now, I'll be doing a couple quick sketches deciding on layout fir the actual screen. Even though I'm doing it first, I assume it will be a tab of a larger options menu.